I don’t know why, but the first time I saw this bike in Specialized’s catalog, I wanted one. I thought it’s be a cool “city” bike for commuting or whatnot.
I don’t think they sold very many of them, as they killed the design/model after just one year. I think it was Specialized’s reaction to the success of Cannondale’s Bad Boy series of urban bikes.
I got this one off of craigslist a few years ago, and proceeded to swap out the parts as I do with all of my bikes it seems.
Now, the only stock parts left are the headset and brakes! Also, it was originally a 26er…turns out 29″/700c wheels fit just fine with lower-volume tires..
I would say this bike (like the Bad Boy) was actually designed to handle both wheel sizes, as the geometry seems largely unaffected by the increase in wheel size.
- Chris King 29er ISO disc wheelset, with Stans 355 rims and Specialized 25c Rouxbaix rubber
- Specialized low-riser bar and seatpost, with Format SL saddle
- Ritchey WCS stem
- Truvativ FireX crankset
- 21.2lbs with pedals
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakeset/levers
- Swapped in a
- DiamondBack OEM 29er wheelset (sold the Chris Kings)
- KS Supernatural Dropper Post with Joplin remote (the 29er wheels make it a bit too tall to put my feet on the ground when stopped; the dropper is a sweet solution!)
- I’d like to find an internally geared hub and turn it into a 7 or 8-spd bike. Or maybe find a compatible derailleur hanger, but I don’t think one exists for this frame.
Latest build 06/17:
The Centrum has become my ‘city’ bike and sits in my office for occasional lunchtime runs, etc. The LEV was pretty unreliable, so I got rid of it and put on a Specialized Command Post instead. I’ve had a couple of those posts and they have never given me any issues.
The bars were swapped out with some FSA Metropolis mustache bars. And for grips I used some old bar tape.
Seems I lost a part of this post with a recent server migration, but I ended up selling the CK wheelset and setting it up with a set of Shimano 650b wheels, which lowers the bike back down a bit.
- new rubber! Panaracer Parimoto 650b x 42c tires w/ Gravel King casing (made in Japan!) – Waay wider and makes it feel more like a cruiser than a hybrid.
- Origin8 Bat Wing bars
- Fox Transfer Performance 125mm dropper w/Specialized SRL lever
- XTR 180/160mm Freeza centerlock rotors
- Thomson seatpost collar
- Spurcycle bell
- Looks Legit!